How many times in this blog have I said that I’m head over heels in love with Spain? I’m beginning to feel like a Sevillana- like I can tell who the tourists are, but I’m not one of them. A few days ago, a SPANIARD asked me for directions! Me, with my blond hair, big backpack and all! And I was able to tell him where to go! Check off my list of to-dos in Spain! Yes, this country just keeps getting better. Believe me, there’s no place like it.
Take Granada, for example. If you haven’t seen the Alhambra lit up at night with massive snow-capped peaks towering beyond, you’re missing a wonder of the world. Last weekend my program offered a two-day tour of Granada. We had to wake up early Saturday morning to catch the bus, but we knew we were in for a splendid weekend as we watched the sun rise over the lovely city of Sevilla from the bridge we traverse to class everyday. It was like an omen that the sheets of rain we’d been drowning in would give it a rest just for the weekend. And it (almost entirely) did!
We drove in two large buses to Granada and split into two groups to tour the city. My friends Abby, Rozina and Maya and I picked one group because its schedule directed us the Alhambra the first day, which promised NO rain. Most of our friends were in the other group, but I’m glad we did the Alhambra the first day for the sun.
The Alhambra is stunning. Massive. A fascinating architectural fusion of Moorish and Catholic influences. It’s set upon a mountain, so it both gives gorgeous views of Granada and it makes for a beautiful scene when viewed from anywhere else in the city. There’s one plaza that’s perfectly round and when you stand in the very center, any noise you make echoes only in your ears, but it sounds normal to anyone else, even a foot away- it’s really funky. We spent three hours touring the Alhambra and Generalife (not pronounced in the very American English way it looks- sounds like an insurance company, right?). Generalife are the gardens and terraces across from the Alhambra that give a great view of the palace and the city.
After the Alhambra, all 130-some people in our CIEE group went to a renowned téteria (tea place) downtown for some sweet tea and Arabic desserts. I tried to get myself to like the tea, but it’s really not my thing- even with about four spoonfuls of sugar. The Arabic desserts, however…well I had no problem with those. YUM. After tea we had time to wander around el centro and do some shopping. Abby, Maya and I ran into some of our friends who were walking up to a church they heard had a great view of the Alhambra at sunset, so we went with them. We were too late for the sunset, but the view was unreal! We kept taking more and more pictures of the beautiful scenery as the light changed. Then a group of us grabbed a beer before attempting to find our way back to the hotel. A splendid first day in Granada, I’d say.
Despite our exhaustion, everyone wanted to go out Saturday night. We were in a different city and had to enjoy the nightlife! We botellón-ed (like pre-gaming, traditionally done by Sevillans outside in a plaza or by the river) a bit and then went to a discoteca. It was fun, but we were beat so a group of us went home early. Then I woke up in the morning in the dark and got myself ready for Sunday: teeth brushed, face washed, makeup on, contacts in- the works. I went out into the room and asked my friend if she wanted me to keep the light on for her, to which she replied, “NO! It’s 4 a.m.! Go back to bed!” Um, hmmm. Don’t know how I did that- I went to bed entirely sober. I just got back into bed and woke up again five hours later to actually start the day.
Day 2: After breakfast at the hotel, I rejoined my group and we bussed up to the hillside neighborhoods and had a little walking tour there. The guide pointed out architecture and monuments of Arabic influence all over the city. Then we ended up at the church that holds the bodies of Ferdinand and Isabella. We couldn’t take pictures inside, but it was magnificent! There’s a GIANT marble tomb for them, but the bodies aren’t inside. They’re in a room below in simple wooden caskets that we can go downstairs and see! A bunch of people were freaked out, but I thought it was really cool!
After the tour we had more free time. Abby, Maya, Rozina and I shopped some more and went to a de-freaking-licious kebab place for some shawarma. Ohhhhh I’d walk back to Granada just for another one of those babies. There are kebab places everywhere in Granada! I guess it’s safer for me to live in Sevilla, farther from temptation. I also decided to try jamon-flavored chips. That would be HAM-flavored chips- they’re hugely popular in Spain… they love ham THAT much. So how could I come here and not try them? They’re not bad, really. A little bit of a BBQ-y aftertaste. But they really do taste like ham- and I really do not know how to explain that any better.
I’ve spent the rest of the week in part sunny, part terribly windy and rainy Sevilla. But tomorrow I’m continuing my exploration of this fine nation and…I’m going to MADRID!!! Hasta la vista baby!
No comments:
Post a Comment