It has definitely set in now that this is not a semester-long vacation. I was lucky that the first few weeks were beautiful and warm and I didn’t have any school! But now daily life is a little different. It’s been raining a lot. And I have class. And a cold. So although I’m living in a gorgeous, historic, European city, reality goes on.
This week I started regular session classes:
Publicity and Propaganda in the Society of Masses: Jolly old professor who talks about interesting things, but it can be hard to keep paying attention for two hours of lecture in Spanish. One cool thing he told us today: ET is based on the life of Jesus Christ! Seriously- it kind of works! ET heals people with his touch. A bunch of scientists want to get their hands on him. He connects with children. He “phones home” (like praying to God/Heaven). He makes bicycles fly (instead of walking on water, my prof said). He dies and is resurrected. He ascends into the sky (Heaven). Whaddya think?
Mass Communication in Spain: The profesora is very sweet. She’s very young and current in the realm of journalism. She worked as a paparazzo for a while and told us of one time when she followed Antonio Banderas (who has a house in Malaga) to the airport and he and another guy stopped their car, got out and started attacking her cameraman! Needless to say her paparazzo days were over and she started working as a producer at a radio station in Sevilla. A step up, I’d say.
Spanish Music of the 20th Century: What I’ve gathered from the first week is that we’re going to spend the semester listening to songs, trying to guess what era they’re from, and discussing their significance in Spanish history. There are only about 10 people in the class, but the profesora is nice and it seems pretty chill!
Contemporary Spanish Cinema: We watch movies. We talk about movies. Watch. Talk. Sounds lazy, but since everything is in Spanish, I’ve got to be on my toes.
ALL of my classes are in Spanish, and while I certainly came here to gain fluency in the language, it’s not easy to get used to. When I speak with my senora, it’s not for two hours at a time on one subject. Add the Spanish lectures to the fact that I haven’t had real school for about six weeks and I’ve got a bit of a shock. Although I am liking the fact that there isn’t much homework…so far.
Other than school, I’ve been having tons of fun getting to know this city better (not clinging to my map anymore!) and getting to know Spaniards! Last Thursday I went to Cine Club and saw a Spanish movie! There were Spanish subtitles, so that helped, but I understood it all! Yay! Afterwards I went out for a tinto de verano (red wine with lemon soda, mmm) with some friends and we got to chatting with a group of Spanish guys. They knew a little English, so we were able to do help them and they helped us!
Oh, and of course- the Super Bowl! Highlight of my year. I went to a bar that was packed with Americans where we were charged obscene amounts for drinks (those Spanish bartenders really know when they can take an American for a ride) and stayed up until 4:30 watching the game! That was the Sunday before classes started. Annnd, Monday I was a tad wiped. All in the name of football!
The past couple of days I’ve been lying low with a cold and classes in between. However, today my mass comm class called me far out of downtown Sevilla to visit the radio station my prof works at. So I adorned myself in a raincoat and umbrella, found the station on Google maps, and set out. It was raining and my feet got soaked through my boots. It got dark on the way. I walked down crowded streets during rush hour and then deserted roads after. ONE HOUR and several calls to my smart friend who had taken the bus later, I finally found the station. I didn’t want my class to all think I was a late angry brat, so I smiled and apologized for being the last one there while in my head I was thinking (Damn Google for telling me the street was on the other side of the river and what the hell is the professor thinking making us find this place in the dark and for our second class?!) I sucked it up. And I’m glad I did because the tour of the station was really cool! We got to play radio interview and read actual news scripts and speak into their microphones. So it turned out fine when I got over my self-pity. And I took the bus home.
And now I’m finishing up the week of classes. It’s supposed to pour tomorrow so I may not get to wander around Sevilla like I’d been planning. On Saturday, though, we’re heading to Cadiz (a city about an hour south on the coast) for Carnaval!! Not sure what I’m dressing as yet, but my friends and I are thinking cast of Peter Pan? Perhaps, perhaps.
Well, off to dinner and then Cine Club again for a horror movie! I hate them in English enough, so I’m slightly dreading this. But I figure, when will I get the chance to watch a scary movie in Spanish ever again?
Until next time!
Un abrazo fuerte,
Lyss
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
testing testing
ReplyDeleteWell I would say "You're not made of sugar; you won't melt!" But wait, you ARE made of sugar!
ReplyDeleteMama misses you!